Saturday, March 7, 2009

Two Weeks!

Still settling in a bit, but things are continuing to go well. I can’t decide whether two weeks feels like a long time or if it has gone by really quickly. No pictures again, I’m afraid, as I forgot to bring the appropriate equipment. Sorry! Instead I’ll try to describe to you what everything looks like through text.

- quick sidenote before I get started! Two things have just happened in the internet caff that have been really disorienting:
1: Somebody’s cellphone went off and they have the exact same tone as my phone does at home and for a moment I thought it was mine
2: Today they’re blasting more contemporary pop songs, including Love in This Club(!?!?!?!?) – I don’t think I can quite describe the feeling I had sitting here on the top of a mountain in India listening to that song! It actually made me feel a bit homesick (first time too)

Anyway, my life in Ghayabari so far:

Teaching:
Thanks so much for words of support. I had a few good classes this week, so I am feeling a bit better about it. Those classes are always going to be difficult, because you’re battling communication problems as well as wildness (so even if they wanted to co-operate they can’t understand what you’re saying). I don’t know that I’ll ever particularly enjoy teaching the little ones, but I know I can cope, and after this week I know that it is possible to do SOMETHING with them. And then I think the more we do, the more likely they’ll come on to my side a bit.

We’re teaching at 2 schools. On Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays I teach at Blue Diamond, and then Tuesdays and Wednesdays I’m in another village called Tindharia, where I teach at a Nursery called Regal Academy (all the schools have really posh names). Rosalie teaches at Tindharia on the days that I’m at Blue Diamon & Blue Diamond when I’m in Tindharia. Every other Saturday we teach in the mornings, so we’ll still be able to go off and do weekend trips.

Funny story about teaching: quite often the boarders are the worst of the lot!!! I was quite miffed in my first Class 2 class, when it was Rahul (one of the boarders) who was the ringleader in climbing up the walls! One of the boarding girls in Class 1 (which is #1 of my Terror Classes full of Terror Children) is one of the worst ones for whacking other children. Typical. I so thought that in seeing them all the time they’d automatically be more cooperative with me, but this is not the case!!


Sights:
Perilously steep cliffs and mountain ridges, covered by trees and tea plantations. Even though they’re in the dry season (it’s funny to think that their winter is their dry season, coming from Vancouver), everything is very green.

Houses are tiny, usually made of tin and/or brick, and painted bright colours. Almost everyone keeps potted flowers outside their houses, it’s lovely (geraniums, daisies, pansies, and several more that I don’t recognize).

Vast majority of people are of Nepali descent. There are flags, posters, slogans, and signs everywhere, calling for Ghorkaland. Some people paint “Ghorkaland” over “West Bengal” on signs with their addresses. I’m hoping Mr Thapa will tell me more about that, as I really feel that I know nothing about it.

There is litter everywhere. People drop their garbage on the ground without the slightest thought. It’s automatic for them. This has probably been the biggest culture shock thing for me so far. It’s really weird for me, because the idea of picking up after yourself is something that has been instilled in me right from when I was tiny. It’s such a shame, because the scenery here is incredible, and yet continuing to be spoilt by piles of litter everywhere. Even the tiny ones at Regal Academy drop all their food on the ground, & it’s not seen as something bad. It’s a bit depressing, because I really don’t know that there’s anything that you could do to change it, when it’s literally everyone who litters. And there certainly aren’t garbage/recycling facilities up here, so what can one do?
Sounds:

In the mornings: children (they wake up before 6am to study for an hour & a half before school! Try getting any Vancouver children to do that), chickens (they roam around the yard, everyone keeps them it seems), and quite often this really nice, relaxed Indian pop music that someone nearby plays.

AAnnnnnd I need to stop. Sorry about the quick conclusion. Will continue, hopefully next week.

3 comments:

  1. Lordy, your words bring back memories of my first year of teaching. Looking back I think I was too nice and wanted to be their friend. By year two I'd smartened up a bit! I imagine you are a faster learner than I was. And I love hearing about the sounds of chickens (roaming practically every developing nation in the world and none of the roosters know how to tell time!) - and the pop music - the local stuff is always welcome, no matter how abysmal - it's the familiar old Western tunes that you thought (and hoped ) were long gone and that get played over and over that drives you nuts! Keep a record and tell us what the top five most frequently heard tunes end up being - ring tones too (Gloria Estavan was popular on Asian phones).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever you go in the world there will always be inappropriate familiar cheesy pop music. As Jenny has done travel musings , I'll do musings from home to either get you feeling nostalgic.

    We had a below freezing day today after a dump of snow on March 7. Its all very beautiful with clear blue skies and sunshine.

    We're prepping the Fifi/Mardy birthday dinner this weekend and are hosting so we're aiming for a Thai/Cambodian/Loatian/Vietnamese hybrid meal that hopefully wont kill Pats or cause Markymark to upchuck.

    Curling is on TV - we're rooting for Manitoba over Ontario.

    Good luck with the overcoming the worst behaviour of the little darlings. I think this was the plot of both the Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons (before your time?) and it turned out all right except for the child actors ending up on reality TV and drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to Martin's local colour. Last night's Thursday run was Fartleks, up the PW hill, ew...but at least with the time change it was light. It's been goregous the last few days - but rain is forecast so everything will be back to normal.

    For his birthday Martin was given underwear by The Mean Girls (a group of runners). Apparently one of them bought it and left it on the doorstep of one of the others who said she'd wrap it, but it was discovered by her 90+ year old mother who was VERY CONCERNED about why there was man's underwear on her middle-aged single daughter's front step.

    He also got 3 meat-related and 1 cheese-related gift certificates so he's in happy land.

    We're going to the hocky game tonight and hoping the concessions people won't strike as threatened. The Canucks were doing well, but now they need that support that only Martin and I can give (!!!) as it is getting down to the wire and they played crappy in their last two games.

    We went clubbing last weekend and got carded. Let me say that again - we got carded! I imagine it was a security thing (there's lots of gang-style shootings in and around Vancouver these days) but can you believe it? WE got CARDED!!!! There you go - something to aspire to when you are - ahem - as 'mature' as we are.

    ReplyDelete