Friday, February 13, 2009

Note to Self:

It would help if you made sure that you had important information, like say, the phone number of your destination, before setting off. It would also help if you were fully awake before booking your transportation out of the airport and onto your next destination, so as to avoid time-wasting coaches.

Live and learn?

Anyway, I did arrive at 102 safe and sound, albeit considerably later than expected and adding a few grey hairs to my mother and grandmother's heads! And (trying to look on the bright side), the time-consuming journey to Victoria Station in London, and also time-consuming journey from London to Petersfield meant that I was able to have a mini tour of the city (sort of).
Now I am ensconsed in my second home, listening to the birds outside. One of my favourite things about England is being able to wake up to the sounds of woodpigeons cooing in the morning (quite possibly the world's most pleasant alarm clock). I have many traditions when staying in England and at 102. Along with the morning pigeons, there's the walk around the Heath, wandering through town, eating freshly-baked bread, going to the Harrow. These are activities that I know I will do every single time I come here, and that repetition and familiarity make them all the more enjoyable.



1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of wood pigeons too - I know I've arrived in blighty when I hear them. How about letting us in on the foods you had to have before leaving home, and the foods you have to have while visiting 102?

    ReplyDelete