Sunday, May 17, 2009

You're lucky that the UBC Courses website is so slow to load

And that I'm a compulsive multi-tasker.

Very basic, barebones update of the weekend:
  • Friday: found out that there is to be a programme in Tindharay in which Blue Diamond is going to perform an English song and dance on the 24th. Guess who's been asked to teach the children the song? Thankfully, the other teachers came up with the song they'd like to be taught, and then chose the children to sing it. Also managed to download it successfully - Michael Jackson et all's "We are the World". Started learning a Nepali dance, which is also to be performed at the programme. Because of the height difference, we're performing a love duet, and guess who gets to be the boy? I feel like I'm back in gr 6, learning dance in a class where there are almost twice as many girls as boys.
  • Saturday: Start teaching the song to the children. Goes well, until we find the programme's been moved to Friday. Oh, and did I mention that BBC World is apparently filming this? Stress!!! Especially when that means we have less than a week to learn a 5 and a half minute Nepali dance routine. And I've found out that learning Nepali dance is not one of my strong points (far from it!!!). It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the disgusted looks the dance teacher gave me every time I asked her for any sort of clarification or repetition of steps... having looked forward to learning the dance, it was a bit of a let-down.
  • Sunday (today): woke up in a foul mood and experienced major panic stations and stress in the morning as I attempted to learn my steps from a recording I made on my camera when the camera battery ran out. Had a really really nice day though - went down to Jogmaya tea estate, where Mr Thapa grew up and where a lot of the students are from. Visited one of the teachers and some of Mr Thapa's relatives, as well as took a personal tour around the factory to watch the tea being made (took lots of photos, so hopefully will be able to post something related to that at some point). Practiced Nepali dance for about 5 hours in the afternoon, and now think that I just may be able to pull this off without standing blankly onstage or anything like that. Phew! Had a really nice evening after that.
  • Tomorrow: help! Haven't planned for lessons! And it's late here so ending now, without the photos I'd hoped to post...
  • 6 weeks left! Oh no!

No comments:

Post a Comment